Here are 6 ways you can use coconut oil that you may not have known before.
1. Skincare. Coconut oil makes a great moisturizer all on its own, or as a base to skincare recipes. It can also be used on its own as a lip balm. In addition, it’s very soothing for eczema prone skin.
2. Sun Protection. While summer is well behind us, that doesn’t mean we need to stop thinking about sun protection. If you live or vacation somewhere where it snows, you still need to be cautious and protect your skin as the sun’s rays reflect back from the snow to your skin. If you’ll just be outdoors for a short time, coconut oil may help prevent sunburn. If you do happen to get burned, coconut oil may speed healing and alleviate stinging. Don’t apply until your skin has cooled.
3. First Aid. Coconut oil makes a great base for many salves such as homemade vapor rub, poison ivy or basic first aid salves. Be sure to store coconut oil based salves in the refrigerator if you don’t add beeswax to harden them. In addition, coconut oil may be utilized as an essential oil carrier for your wintertime applications.
4. Natural Deodorant. If you’re looking for a natural deodorant alternative, give coconut oil a try. Just rub a small amount into your underarms. The winter months are a great time to give this a try.
5. Butter Replacement. More and more people are becoming intolerant to dairy, and are looking for alternatives. Coconut oil can be used as a butter replacement in most recipes.
6. Coffee Creamer. If you’re going dairy free, give coconut oil a try in place of your coffee creamer. Just 1-2 teaspoons will give your coffee a rich, creamy flavor with a slight tropical aroma.
Where to Buy Coconut Oil
Coconut oil can be purchased at your local health food store. This month Healthy Planet has the Nutiva Coconut Oil (29 oz) on sale for just $11.99.
About the Author:
Chrystal Johnson, publisher of Happy Mothering and founder of Green Moms Media, is a mother of two sweet girls who believes in living a simple, natural lifestyle. A former marketing manager, Chrystal spends her time researching green and eco-friendly alternatives to improve her family’s life. She enjoys sharing those discoveries with anyone who’s willing to listen. Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest.