By now, you’ve probably heard about the importance of supplementing with Omega-3 fatty acids. While fish oil is probably the most popular and well-known form of Omega-3 supplementation, there is a new kid on the block: Krill Oil.
Krill oil is derived from Antarctic krill (a shrimp-like creature that inhabits the frigid waters of the Antarctic Ocean). Since Krill are at the very bottom of the food chain, they don’t accumulate unsafe levels of mercury, heavy metals or other toxins like many fish do.
Not only is Krill oil a safer choice than fish oil, it also has many health benefits. In fact, it may be 48 times more potent than fish oil!
Some of the health benefits of Krill Oil include:
- Some research suggests that your body can absorb the Omega-3 fatty acids in krill oil more easily than from plants or fish oil.
- Krill oil also contains astaxanthin, a very potent antioxidant that may be able to fight multiple free radicals at the same time. Astaxanthin also makes krill oil much less susceptible to oxidation than fish oil.
- One study discovered that krill oil could assist women in managing the emotional symptoms of PMS and reducing the pain associated with their periods.
- Like fish oil, krill oil can reduce arthritis stiffness and pain within 1-2 weeks.
- Krill oil may enhance cognitive abilities, improve memory and reduce depressions.
- Taking 1-1.5 grams of krill oil each day may reduce total cholesterol and “bad” low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol as well as increase “good” high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol.
- Other studies indicate that krill oil may be beneficial in managing high blood pressure, reducing the risk of stroke and preventing skin cancer.
Please note, you should not take krill oil if you are allergic to shellfish or if you take blood thinners. Consult your physician if you have questions.
You should be able to find krill oil at your local health food store. You can also find krill oil on the Healthy Planet website. They are currently offering a 1-2 month supply of Inno-Vite Inno-Krill supplements for $56.99.
About the Author:
Chrystal Johnson, publisher of Happy Mothering and founder of Green Moms Media, is a mother of two sweet girls who believes in living a simple, natural lifestyle. A former marketing manager, Chrystal spends her time researching green and eco-friendly alternatives to improve her family’s life. She enjoys sharing those discoveries with anyone who’s willing to listen. Follow her on Facebook, Twitter, Google+, and Pinterest.